Monday, November 3, 2014

my life’s library

Hello, absolutely no one. It has been a long time. You will have to excuse me if I refer to you as a "someone", it's just my writing style. I'm fully aware that, if Britney Spears isn't relevant after a couple months without releasing a single, I can't expect anyone to still be reading this after more than a year without a new entry. You will also have to excuse me if Britney Spears has, indeed, released a new single, she stopped being relevant in my mind since 2004. Yeah, I'm not good at analogies.

When I began this blog, 5 years ago (five, dude! My blog would be going to school by now), I was this 19 year old Mexican girl with a long term boyfriend and a need to leave the city she grew in. I was terrified, but in a good way. I dropped the boyfriend and crossed the pond. Then, I was still terrified, but not in such a good way. I was depressed, so I did what anyone in my position would have done: I spent my days on the internet, talking to people I didn't know; I spent my nights drinking my weight in alcohol, making out with guys I also didn't know. Sounds pathetic, but it was actually kinda fun!

More than a couple of times I thought about shutting down this blog officially. I would've kept it up for posterity, but I'd announce there would be no new entries. At 24, I am still very much Mexican and I got myself a new long term boyfriend. I wouldn't say I've made this new city my home, but I know where the nearest Burger King is, and which bus to take to visit my good friend IKEA... So if it isn't home, it's something damn near it. The most excitement going on in my daily life is at 2:30 on week days, when my roommate and I watch 'Toda Una Dama’, the greatest telenovela ever (it started as something ironical, I swear, but I’m pretty much hooked by now).

The 'Project' is over, isn't? There's no transition to document anymore. I crossed the Atlantic, and just like the Spaniards did with Mexico, I called the newfound land my own and established myself there (I must, however, pay my nice landlord monthly to let me keep it). In a literary sense, the blog should end here.

Then I thought: fuck the project, fuck "literary sense", it's not like I'm getting paid to write this crap anyway (that would be awesome, though). I mean, it's just the internet, right? If I want to complain about my professors and write essays describing in detail the shape of my boyfriend's penis, I am more than allowed. I doubt I will ever regain the amount of readers I had when Lola Dahl was a slutty self-deprecating nerd, but this blog was never meant to have an audience in the first place. I have a degree on self-deprecation (which is a good thing, since architecture is taking longer than planned), so, if you're into that, you're more than welcome to stay... And of course, when I say “you" I still mean "no one ever, in fact I just saw a tumbleweed a minute ago".


And a new beginning deserves a new book to get my titles from, I chose 'Looking for Alaska' by John Green. I know, I know, he's so mainstream now, but 'The Catcher in the Rye' isn't exactly underground. Let's just cheer now!

8 comments:

  1. I never lost hope. I knew this day would come. I can now start living again.

    Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. <3
      I'm not going to pretend this didn't make my day.
      Thank YOU.

      Delete
    2. Stop pretending you still have readers. Everybody can see that you're the one who writes my comments. This monologue is getting awkward.

      (<3)

      Delete
    3. I decided to attack myself o.o ! I'm such a strange little human.
      You're right -I mean- I'm right, this conversation is so awkward.

      Delete
  2. Remember, remember the 3rd of November
    Sarcasm, reason and plot,
    I know of no reason why Lola Dahl
    Should ever be forgot.

    p.s. no this is not you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. OMG I SHOULD HAVE WAITED TWO MORE DAYS

      Delete
    2. Missed you, especially the sexy bits.

      Delete
  3. Welcome back and enjoy the blogging journey.

    ReplyDelete